Friday, March 29, 2013

Wishi Washy? Hardly!

You may have noticed.

I have a slight obsession with washi tape lately.  It's been popping up in my store quite a bit these days, because it fascinates me.  Fine, you say.  You like tape.  Leave me alone, I don't know how to use it.

And because I love having imaginary conversations in my head, I usually explain to my imaginary digi friends ALL the wonderful ways they can add just-the-right-touch to a digi layout with a little tape.  The only problem with that is that it's all in my head, and doesn't help anyone ;)  So I'm going to get wild and actually show you some ideas!

Ways With Washi:

1.  The obvious.  Tape something down.
It could be a frame:

It could be a card:


It could be a journal strip:

It could be a picture.
(why, yes, that IS an incredibly blurry picture - which is why this is not a photography tutorial! However, please note that you can do fun things with shadows when you tape one corner of a photo down.  Hopefully your fascination with my artsy tape and shadows will help you forget that I haven't conquered manual mode)

So, tape it down. You get the idea.

2.  Use strips of washi to create a subtle background for something:

Under a frame:


Under a journal strip:

Under a cluster:

Under a cutout (yeah, I ♥♥♥ this one)

3.  Clip washi pieces to something.

To a journal card:

To a frame:



4.  Use washi pieces to create an element.

Like this:



Maybe even this:


And there you have it - notice that all these techniques can be adapted to YOUR style.  So you can rev up the detail and make your layouts just one layer cuter!

And since I'm singing washi's praises, here's a little starter for you to play with.  Get a feel for it and then check out all the wonderful washi in digiland!

Download it HERE

And don't forget to check out some of the fun washi in my store, especially my latest set (which coordinates with my 365/52 kit, Life Story):




15 comments:

kimeric kreations said...

you crack me up!!! AND... you write really good tut's and suggestive type thingee's.

stellajane said...

I agree!!

Vicky said...

I agree, too! THANKS!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I agree too, but have to say, I wouldn't have thought of it like - sellotape? So I am grateful, thank you.

JeannieK said...

Thanks for the washi tape samplers! I've wondered what I would do with those I've seen - now I know! Thanks for the ideas :)

Cathy at Paper Garden Projects said...

Great post Julie - love the ideas.

LuAnn said...

Awesome post Julie!

Shannon said...

Thanks for sharing these creative uses. I had not thought of most of them! I especially like the cutout.

LBickford said...

AWESOME!!! Great ideas, and thank you!!!!

Barb said...

Funny, funny lady. Love it. Thanks again.

Barb

grannymike said...

Thanks so much for the tape and for the great suggestions of how to use it. I identify with anyone who talks to themselves. I carry on whole conversations myself. Thanks again.

Mary M. said...

Thank you

Robinsismai said...

Thanks so much for the tape and all the wonderful ideas! I'm glad you had that conversation out loud! I never would have thought to use the tape all these ways.

Lou Anne Hazel said...

Thank you for the tape and the fun suggestions. That's the cutest puppy I've ever seen! Anyway, you've expanded my creativity for washi use.

lemondedis said...

thank you so much : these are awesome ! I share the link here : https://www.facebook.com/pages/LMIlesptitscadeauxdigi/137384909802866?ref=hl and there : http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/digital-freebies/